Selective Enrollment Policy

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin Email this link

Selective Enrollment schools are schools that are designed to meet the needs of academically advanced students across Chicago Public Schools. The selections process for Selective Enrollment schools is the same for elementary and high school students; 30% of available seats at each school are given to the top-scoring students on academic admissions criteria with no consideration of Tiers (known as “rank”), and the remaining 70% of available seats are divided equally among the four Tiers, and each student is ranked within their Tier.

The Tiers are Chicago Public Schools’ consideration of socioeconomic factors in the selections process. Each address in the city of Chicago is in one of four Tiers that are based on six factors as outlined in the Admissions Policy linked above: median family income, adult educational attainment, % of single-family households, % of home ownership, % of the population that speaks a language other than English, and a school performance variable. Tiers 3 and 4 represent the highest income areas of Chicago, whereas Tiers 1 and 2 represent the lowest income areas of Chicago.

In the selection process run for SY21, Tiers 3 and 4 students made up 85% of all available “rank” SEES seats and 73% of all available “rank” SEHS seats. On average, the high schools with the highest average cutoff scores for the “rank” seats have disproportionate racial demographics compared to the district averages. Advocates have been calling on the district to adopt a more equitable approach and ensure students in Tier 1 and 2 have a more fair opportunity to attend selective enrollment schools.

Chicago Public Schools is recommending the board reconsider the selection portion of the Admission Policy for Magnet and Selective Enrollment schools. It is recommended that the board consider reweighting the tiers in one of two ways.

  • Option 1: Remove the 30% “rank” and distribute all seats equally among the four Tiers, with each Tier getting 25% of seats.
  • Option 2: Keep the 30% “rank”, but weigh the remaining 70% of seats such that Tiers 1 and 2 receive more of the remaining seats than Tiers 3 and 4.

Either option would not go into effect until the next application cycle for admissions for the 2023-2024 school year.


-- español--


Las escuelas de inscripción selectiva son escuelas que están diseñadas para satisfacer las necesidades de los estudiantes académicamente avanzados en las Escuelas Públicas de Chicago. El proceso de selección para las escuelas de Matrícula Selectiva es el mismo para los estudiantes de primaria y secundaria; El 30 % de las vacantes disponibles en cada escuela se otorgan a los estudiantes con las mejores calificaciones en los criterios académicos de admisión sin tener en cuenta los niveles (conocidos como "rango"), y el 70 % restante de las vacantes disponibles se divide en partes iguales entre los cuatro niveles, y cada estudiante se clasifica dentro de su nivel.

Los Niveles son la consideración de las Escuelas Públicas de Chicago de los factores socioeconómicos en el proceso de selección. Cada dirección en la ciudad de Chicago se encuentra en uno de los cuatro niveles que se basan en seis factores, como se describe en la Poliza de admisión vinculada anteriormente: ingreso familiar promedio, nivel educativo de adultos, % de hogares unifamiliares, % de propiedad de vivienda, % de la población que habla un idioma diferente al inglés, y una variable de rendimiento escolar. Los niveles 3 y 4 representan las áreas de ingresos más altos de Chicago, mientras que los niveles 1 y 2 representan las áreas de ingresos más bajos de Chicago.

En el proceso de selección realizado para SY21, los estudiantes de los niveles 3 y 4 representaron el 85 % de todos los puestos SEES de "rango" disponibles y el 73 % de todos los puestos SEHS de "rango" disponibles. En promedio, las escuelas secundarias con los puntajes de corte promedio más altos para las vacantes de "rango" tienen una demografía racial desproporcionada en comparación con los promedios del distrito. Los defensores han estado pidiendo al distrito que adopte un enfoque más equitativo y asegure que los estudiantes en los Niveles 1 y 2 tengan una oportunidad más justa de asistir a las escuelas de inscripción selectiva.

Las Escuelas Públicas de Chicago recomiendan que la junta reconsidere la parte de selección de la Políza de Admisión para las escuelas Magnet y de Inscripción Selectiva. Se recomienda que la junta considere volver a ponderar los niveles de una de dos maneras.

  • Opción 1: elimine el "rango" del 30 % y distribuya todos los asientos por igual entre los cuatro niveles, con cada nivel obteniendo el 25 % de los asientos.
  • Opción 2: mantener el 30 % del "rango", pero sopesar el 70 % restante de los asientos de modo que los niveles 1 y 2 reciban más asientos restantes que los niveles 3 y 4.

Cualquiera de las opciones no entraría en vigencia hasta el próximo ciclo de solicitud para las admisiones para el año escolar 2023-2024.

Selective Enrollment schools are schools that are designed to meet the needs of academically advanced students across Chicago Public Schools. The selections process for Selective Enrollment schools is the same for elementary and high school students; 30% of available seats at each school are given to the top-scoring students on academic admissions criteria with no consideration of Tiers (known as “rank”), and the remaining 70% of available seats are divided equally among the four Tiers, and each student is ranked within their Tier.

The Tiers are Chicago Public Schools’ consideration of socioeconomic factors in the selections process. Each address in the city of Chicago is in one of four Tiers that are based on six factors as outlined in the Admissions Policy linked above: median family income, adult educational attainment, % of single-family households, % of home ownership, % of the population that speaks a language other than English, and a school performance variable. Tiers 3 and 4 represent the highest income areas of Chicago, whereas Tiers 1 and 2 represent the lowest income areas of Chicago.

In the selection process run for SY21, Tiers 3 and 4 students made up 85% of all available “rank” SEES seats and 73% of all available “rank” SEHS seats. On average, the high schools with the highest average cutoff scores for the “rank” seats have disproportionate racial demographics compared to the district averages. Advocates have been calling on the district to adopt a more equitable approach and ensure students in Tier 1 and 2 have a more fair opportunity to attend selective enrollment schools.

Chicago Public Schools is recommending the board reconsider the selection portion of the Admission Policy for Magnet and Selective Enrollment schools. It is recommended that the board consider reweighting the tiers in one of two ways.

  • Option 1: Remove the 30% “rank” and distribute all seats equally among the four Tiers, with each Tier getting 25% of seats.
  • Option 2: Keep the 30% “rank”, but weigh the remaining 70% of seats such that Tiers 1 and 2 receive more of the remaining seats than Tiers 3 and 4.

Either option would not go into effect until the next application cycle for admissions for the 2023-2024 school year.


-- español--


Las escuelas de inscripción selectiva son escuelas que están diseñadas para satisfacer las necesidades de los estudiantes académicamente avanzados en las Escuelas Públicas de Chicago. El proceso de selección para las escuelas de Matrícula Selectiva es el mismo para los estudiantes de primaria y secundaria; El 30 % de las vacantes disponibles en cada escuela se otorgan a los estudiantes con las mejores calificaciones en los criterios académicos de admisión sin tener en cuenta los niveles (conocidos como "rango"), y el 70 % restante de las vacantes disponibles se divide en partes iguales entre los cuatro niveles, y cada estudiante se clasifica dentro de su nivel.

Los Niveles son la consideración de las Escuelas Públicas de Chicago de los factores socioeconómicos en el proceso de selección. Cada dirección en la ciudad de Chicago se encuentra en uno de los cuatro niveles que se basan en seis factores, como se describe en la Poliza de admisión vinculada anteriormente: ingreso familiar promedio, nivel educativo de adultos, % de hogares unifamiliares, % de propiedad de vivienda, % de la población que habla un idioma diferente al inglés, y una variable de rendimiento escolar. Los niveles 3 y 4 representan las áreas de ingresos más altos de Chicago, mientras que los niveles 1 y 2 representan las áreas de ingresos más bajos de Chicago.

En el proceso de selección realizado para SY21, los estudiantes de los niveles 3 y 4 representaron el 85 % de todos los puestos SEES de "rango" disponibles y el 73 % de todos los puestos SEHS de "rango" disponibles. En promedio, las escuelas secundarias con los puntajes de corte promedio más altos para las vacantes de "rango" tienen una demografía racial desproporcionada en comparación con los promedios del distrito. Los defensores han estado pidiendo al distrito que adopte un enfoque más equitativo y asegure que los estudiantes en los Niveles 1 y 2 tengan una oportunidad más justa de asistir a las escuelas de inscripción selectiva.

Las Escuelas Públicas de Chicago recomiendan que la junta reconsidere la parte de selección de la Políza de Admisión para las escuelas Magnet y de Inscripción Selectiva. Se recomienda que la junta considere volver a ponderar los niveles de una de dos maneras.

  • Opción 1: elimine el "rango" del 30 % y distribuya todos los asientos por igual entre los cuatro niveles, con cada nivel obteniendo el 25 % de los asientos.
  • Opción 2: mantener el 30 % del "rango", pero sopesar el 70 % restante de los asientos de modo que los niveles 1 y 2 reciban más asientos restantes que los niveles 3 y 4.

Cualquiera de las opciones no entraría en vigencia hasta el próximo ciclo de solicitud para las admisiones para el año escolar 2023-2024.

Have questions or additional thoughts, let us know. Tiene preguntas o pensamientos adicionales, dejenos saber.

loader image
Didn't receive confirmation?
Seems like you are already registered, please provide the password. Forgot your password? Create a new one now.
Page last updated: 09 Mar 2022, 09:36 AM